Can you imagine what it’s like to have a worm living inside your brain? There have been miscellaneous reports of incidents such as this (known as a Gnathostomiasis infection) after the victim consumed sushi or and some other foods.
Gnathostomiasis is a parasitic infection caused by larvae (worms). The disease is most prominent in Southeast Asia, but cases have been reported in other parts of the world. This infection is caused by eating any one of the following:
- Undercooked or raw freshwater fish
- abdominal or right upper quadrant painReptiles
Signs and symptoms
- abdominal or right upper quadrant pain
Symptoms should appear 24 hours after consumption.